Over the next few days, I will post guides to each of the 7 titles released for the ViewMaster Interactive Vision on this thread.
I don't have the system as I've seen consoles go for $600. However, a youtuber named ZC-Infinity have posted the full videos including the multiple choices for each video.
The console is hooked up to a VCR player which takes tapes. As the tape plays, the console will recognize the markers of when it will overlay the graphics (which are generated by the console). The tapes themselves have more than one track so when a condition is fulfilled (selecting the alternative option for example or getting the right answer), the tape briefly switches to the alternate track instead of continuing on the main track.
There are also instances where 2 scenarios are filmed and are technically shown side by side. However, the option not selected will be covered by graphics and the audio track for that will be muted in favor of the option selected. All of this is to create the illusion of interacting with the video.
Last Edit: Sept 9, 2022 3:56:48 GMT by cetrata93: Added technical information
1. Use the Joystick to remove the Bricks. Removing half of the bricks and then all by yourself plays the first audio track on the tape and nothing else changes. Doing nothing or not removing as many bricks plays the second soundtrack on the VHS tape and Big Bird removes the bricks himself.
2. Use the white button to select Forgetful Jone's favourite number. The 4 numbers and graphics changes with each playthrough.
3. Use the white button to count along with The Count in the song "That's What Counts". Counting to 10 changed the cursor into another graphic twice.
4. Use the Red button to hear Ernie sing "Singing in the Shower. Use the Blue Button to hear Big Bird sing the same song. Use the Yellow button to hear both sing. You can switch between having either one sing or both sing during the song. It's accomplished by masking either audio track (and visuals corresponding to character not selected) or leaving both on.
5. Use the white button to select whether Elmo or Oscar tells the story about an Ape. Selecting either option masks the other audio track and lets the one selected to continue.
6. During the greenblies cartoon, use the Green Button when Forgetful's favourite number pops up.
7. During the Bubbleholic song, use the Red, Yellow, and Blue buttons to catch and pop as many bubbles as you can. The graphic representing the number of bubbles popped will appear at the end.
8. Use the white button to help construct a song for Don Music using 4 sets of choices. Duck or Cow, Elbow or Earlobes, Purple or Yellow, and Brocoili or Spaghetti. Selecting an option masks out the other selection during Big Bird's comments and also during the song.
9. The red button causes the note to jump. The Blue Button cause the note to Jive. The yellow button causes the note to do both. Select one of the 3 options to have the note graphic do the action selected during "Jumpin Jive."
(During the Final Scene, the audio track changes depending on the choices made with Don Music).
During the game (mostly in the beginning), seeing the yellow star and pressing a button will cause that graphic to transform into something else.
1. Use the joystick to remove the happy faces on the screen. Not doing anything at the halfway point and the end will cause the other audio track to play and oscar will remove the faces on his own.
2. Use the Blue Button to help tickle grover (graphic moves) and use the Red button to stop when grover asks you to.
3. Use the white button to move the box to select your favourite letter. The 4 letters change randomly per playthrough.
4. During the cartoon, push the green button when your previously chosen letter comes up and get a special elephant's cheer at the end (the other audio track will play instead if you don't pick the letter with the green button).
5. Use the white button to move the box to select a letter. B or R, A or U, G or T. Spelling Bag, Rut, Bat, Bug, Rag, and Rat is considered a grouchy word while But and Rug isn't considered a grouchy word
6. During the song, "Octopus Blues", press the green button when he says eight to have a graphic of 8 underwater creatures appear.
7. During the song, "May I be your Friend", push the red button to hear Big Bird sing it his way or push the blue button to hear Oscar sing it his way. The soundtrack changes depending on which is selected but the video remains the same. Oscar will favor his way over big bird's.
8. Push the green button during a cartoon when your selected letter from earlier pops up. One of 2 audio tracks from oscar will play depending in whether you pushed the button or not.
9. During the song, "The Frog in the Glen" Push the green button when frogs is said and animated frogs will appear (by graphic).
10. Use the white button to move the white box to select between the butterfly or pig short films. Both shorts will play at the same time but the graphics will cover over the film not selected and only the audio track for the selected film will play. Oscar will favor the pig film over the butterfly.
11. During a grover segment, press the white button to orient a graphic of an arrow to match the sign. A yellow arrow will shoot out as a result.
12. Use the white button to move the box to select your favourite party preferences Musical Chairs or Slimeball Tossing. Balloons or Fish Decorations, Record Player or Elephant Music. Nicely Wraoed Presents or Dirty Presents.
13. During "Carribbean Amphibian", press the green button to make the animated graphic of a frog jump over lily pads. A graphic will appear showing how many lily pads you have jumped.
(If you favor the grouch more than annoy him, you will go to Oscar's party. If you annoy the grouch more than favor him, you will go to Bob's party. The footage for both outcomes will play at the same time but the graphics will cover up the party that wasn't decided and the audio track will play the party that was decided.)
1. Based on the short "Lonesome Ghosts", hunt down ghosts by using the joystick to move the cursor and the green button to get rid as many of the ghosts before all of the candles disappear. The tape runs a still frame except for the candles below going out one by one and the console will overlay the ghost graphics to catch.
2. Based on the short "Tugboat Mickey", hit the green button to try to throw coal into the furnace as the door is opening and closing before all of the shovels disappear. A still image of goofy will be running on the top left, the decreasing shovels will be on the rope right, and on the bottom, the coal and furnace graphics are overlaid on top of an image of wood.
3. Based on the short, "Donald's Tire Trouble.", use the joystick and use the Green Button to move pieces of the puzzles (car related) with completed pictures scoring points. A still image of Donald is at the top left, the decreasing flags will play on the bottom left, and the console will overlay the puzzle graphics on a still image of the road on the right.
4. Based on the short, "Mickey's Delayed Date.", use the joystick to move mickey across the road to Minnie without getting hit by a truck. The more times you complete, the more you score. The entire game takes place on graphics overlaid on a blank image except for the hats disappearing below.
5. Based on the short "How to Play Football.", move the joystick to move the hands and the green button to catch the footballs falling towards you. A still image runs with the hand and football graphics overlaid on top with the helmets decreasing on top.
6. Based on the short "Canine Caddy.", use the joystick to move the golf ball to the hole through a hidden maze where they appear if you hit them. The game is entirely generated by computer except for the decreasing golf balls on the bottom.
7. Based on the short. "Baggage Buster", use the joystick and the green button to match bunnies with the same color or pose with each other to get points. The bunnies are graphics overlaid on a still image on the bottom with a still image of goofy on the top right and disappearing hats on the top left.
8. Based on the short "Trailer Horn", use the joystick to move a teacup and avoid the pinecone. A still image of Donald is on the top right, the disappearing trees are on the bottom right, and the teacup and pinecone graphics are overlaid on a still image on the left.
9. As the puzzle (changes randomly with each playthrough) uncovers itself, move the puzzle pieces with the joystick and green button to try to figure out the puzzle. Then select with the joystick and green button whether the image is related to mickey, donald or goofy. Still image on top right, disappearing balloons on the bottom right, and the puzzle graphics are overlaid on the blank left side.
(After each game, the round score is calculated which will be added to the total score that is saved after every game due to graphics and memory. For the 9th game, if you don't choose the correct character, the losing footage will play on the left side and the video appears to freeze on the graphic of the total score for a minute. Choosing the correct character, will cause the winning animation to play on the right side along with the celebration animation in full screen. It plays on both scenarios no matter what but the graphic of the total screen will cover the celebration animation and the audio track will be muted.
1. Use the white button to move the white box to construct a story involving the Cow or a fairy godmother, Jack and the beanstalk or Cinderella, and a goose or a glass slipper. Both stories (cindrella or jack and the beanstalk) will technically be told on the left and right sides of the screen but graphics will cover up the story not selected and only the audio track involving the story options selected will play.
(A cartoon about school will play. No interactive options are present.
2. Move the joystick when the school building appears during the live action short to get rid of the building to see the short. A school building graphic will be overlaid shortly onto the short which can be removed piece by piece with the joystick. It will be removed on its own if the player doesn't do anything and alternate narration will be played.
3. Use the white button to move the white box to select one of four randomly generated letters (per playthrough) as your favourite letter.
4. During the live action fireworks short, press the green button when that chosen letter pops up. Not selecting it plays an alternate audio track.
5. During the song "Perfectly Pearl White Teeth", move the joystick to brush a shark's teeth. The toothbrush and shark teeth are graphics overlaid on the tape.
6. Move the joystick to draw a picture. The buttons change the color of the marker. The blackboard is a graphic that covers on the right hand side to be drawn by a marker graphic.
7. During a cookie monster short, Press the green button when you hear a word that rhymes with buy to have the word displayed on screen. The pie graphics will then put the words selected on the screen at the end.
8. Press the green button during a cartoon when the chosen letter from earlier is displayes. One of 2 audio tracks will play depending on whether the letter is selected or not.
9. During "Doin the Pigeon", press the blue or red buttons to fly the pigeons to any gap displayed in the line of pigeons. The pigeons are graphics displayed during the song and a score with the number of birds flown to the top of the screen will display at the end.
10. Use the white button to move a white box to help plan a day for Oscar's school. First, choose a story between a speedy or lucky slug. Both stories will play on both sides of the screen but the side with the story not chosen will be covered up and its audio track muted in favor of the one selected. Then, choose between the Tomato or Potato Surprise. Again, both options will play but only the audio will be heard for the selected option and the graphics will cover up the side not selected. Finally, choose betwee a dog or shark pet. Same rules apply as before.
11. Press the green button during the song, "Sharing", when you see an item being shared between Prarie Dawn and Grover to see graphics of food items being split in half.
12. Use the joystick to erase the blackboard on the right. Unlike the previous blackboard exercise, the blackboard is a still image and moving the joystick replaces parts of the image with a blank graphic. Don't do anything at the halfway and ending points and an alternate audio track will play during those along with telly erasing the image.
1. Move the joystick to move the wand and remove the Bricks from the castle. The castle Bricks are graphics overlaid on the tape. Don't do anything at the halfway and end points to have the Bricks be automatically removed and have an alternate audio track be played.
2. During a grover short, press the red button for no and the blue button for yes and have a graphic of a face shaking his head no or yes.
3. Use the white button to move the white box to select one of four randomly generated numbers.
4. During a honkers cartoon, press the green button to have a graphic of a horn play music from an audio track covering the original audio track
5. Use the white button to move a white box to construct a story involving the three bears or 3 pigs, oatmeal or Bricks, blow the house down or sleep in a bed. Both stories (three bears and the three pigs) will play on both sides with graphics covering the story not selected and the audio track switching to whichever story option selected.
6. During "I Don't Want To Live on The Moon", press any color buttons to have animations play over the song.
7. Use the white button to move a white box to select between hearing Oscar's voice or the count's voice. Then, select who will speak in the voice between elmo, the camel, big bird, or Forgetful Jones. All 4 options will play but the curtain graphics will cover the 3 not selected. The audio track of course will play either Oscar's or count's voice.
8. The process will repeat between Forgetful jone's and Big bird's voice and choosing the target of said voice between grover, cookie monster, a duck, or ernie.
9. Press the white button during "One Potato' to move a basket to catch as many objects (potatoes, umbrellas, and papers) as you can. The basket and objects are graphics overlaid and a score of total potatoes, umbrellas, and papers grabbed will display at the end.
(Telly will pull out the chosen number graphic from earlier out of a hat)
10. Press the green button during a sardine cartoon when the chosen number from before appears. One of 2 audio tracks will play depending on if said button was pressed at the right time.
11. Press the red button during a kermit and elmo short when you hear a loud sound or the blue button when you hear a quiet sound to have the loud or quiet title graphics display.
12. Use the Red button to have Bob sing "Sing", Use the Blue Button to have Luiz sing the same song. Use the Yellow button to have both sing. The graphic can cover up the side not chosen or it can be removed entirely if both are chosen to sing. This can be switched any time.
13. Use the joystick to replace a virtual sesame street with telly's house. The entire set to be removed is digitally generated covering a still image of telly's house. Telly will help "build the house" at the halfway and ending points if nothing is done.
(During the tape, press a button whenever the wand appears to have the wand generate graphics of magic)
1. Press a button to change the audio track during the opening.
2. Use the Red button to be referred to as Dr. Cough or the Blue Button to be referred to as Dr. Hiccup. The audio track throughout the tape will play the sections regarding the selected name when the tape comes across them and mute the other audio track out
3. Move the Joystick and use the Green button to catch as many of the blue and red flies as you can. The net and catchable flies are generated and a score keeping tally is at the top right. A different audio track will play depending on how many flies you catch at various points
4. Press the Red button to direct gonzo to the cliff or the Blue button to direct him towards the sailboat. Audio track will change depending on option selected.
5. Choose between the soap opera (Blue button) or space adventure (Red button). The same film will play but with different graphics surrounding the screen and a different audio track per option. It can be switched at any time.
6. Press the Blue button to lower the shield and then the Red button to launch beaker. Alternate audio tracks will play if said buttons aren't pressed.
7. Use the Joystick to navigate a rocket to the moon before you run out of fuel. Beaker can only land on the moon when it's completely filled in. The entire maze game is generated by graphics on a film of stars falling down with the fuel counting down below the maze. Depending on whether he makes it to the moon, one of 2 audio tracks will play and while both options play out simultaneously, graphics will cover up the unselected outcome.
8. Use the Joystick and Green button to try to uncover all of the "Eggs of Power" from chicken shaped objects. The eggs collected will be generated as graphics on the egg scoreboard. One of 2 audio tracks will play depending on if all of the eggs are collected.
9. Move the Joystick to cover the gun and the Green button to fire any collected eggs before Dr Achoo fires at you. One of 2 audio tracks will play depending on if he hits you or you hit him. After the game, 2 outcomes will play simultaneously with graphics covering up the unselected outcome and only the audio track for the outcome will be played.
10. Press the Red button to try to subject kermit to the brain transplant machine or the Blue button if you refuse to do so. Kermit will leave either way with the only difference being the audio track changed.
11. Press the Red button to have beaker get the brain of the bowling ball or the Blue button for the brain of a chainsaw. The audio track will be changed depending on item selected.
12. Press the Red button to have Fozzie's performance be cheered or the Blue button to have Fozzie's performance be booed The audio track will be changed depending on which button is pressed
13. Press the Red button to have gonzo go towards the Bell Tower or the Blue button to have Gonzo go towards the factory. The audio track will change depending on option selected.
14. Press the Red button to hear kermit's song or the Blue button for gonzo's song. The audio track will change depending on option selected.
1. Press the Red button or Blue button to choose your name between Foghorn or Smasher. The tape will then switch audio tracks whenever your name is mentioned.
2. Press the Blue button if you are ready or the Red button if you aren't ready. Doesn't matter either way except for the audio track used.
3. Press the Blue button for an offbeat sound effect for the gong or the Red button for a traditional sound effect for the gong. One of 2 audio tracks play as a result.
4. Press the Blue or Red button to construct a script with choices between picturesn of a scale or clock, fish or birdcage, charging fish or umbrella, smelly fish or elephant, or a fish with clock or fish and tiger.
5. Press the Red button for clothing choices between a purple shirt, the Yellow button for a yellow shirt, or the Blue button for a suit or tie. Then select either a ruffle (Red), necklace (Yellow) or cowbell (Blue). Then select the dice (Red) traditional (Yellow), or carrot (Blue) earrings. Then select between a white hat (Red), Egyptian Headgear (Yellow) or a cotton candy looking hat (Blue). The Audio track changes depending on choices made.
6. Press the Red button for anchovies or Blue button for pepperoni on the pizza. It will then transition into a game where you need to remove the food (Joystick and Green button) that you haven't selected. The audio track will switch depending on which food you selected and then another audio track will play depending on if there remains more of your food or the other food not selected. The game is generated on a still image of pizza with fish and pepperoini graphics along with a score at the end.
7. Build a rocket between the bottom of a rocket (Red), fish tail (Yellow) or hula skirt (Blue). Then choose between the middle of a rocket (Red), accordion (Yellow) or Hourglass (Blue), Finally, choose between the top of the rocket (Red), Eiffel Tower (Yellow) or clown (Blue). The footage of a muppet pig will be on the top right and the rest are all generated graphics.
8. Same as #3 with different offbeat sound effects.
9. Choose between music with the Blue button or no music with the Red button. One of 2 audio tracks will plays as a result.
10. Use the Joystick and Green button to capture music notes with a microphone as the notes change color. Don't touch the static or you lose power. The notes are on the tape itself and the music sheet on the bottom, static, and microphone are all computer graphics. Different audio tracks will play depending on your progress. A song will then play with captured notes, playing the original audio track where as missed notes play a different audio track instead.
11. Same as #3 and #8 with different offbeat sound effects.
12. 2 digitally generated cards will be dealt. First, select the missing color to be the third card and then choose 2 colors to deal with the other randomly generating a third card. Different audio tracks will play depending if you don't select anything or pick the correct card
13. Press the Red button to have Gonzo round up horses or the Blue button to have Gonzo save Anna Lee. Both scenarios will play with a graphic covering up the choice not selected with the different audio track for the unselected choice being muted.
14. During the game, there will be bags of money scattered throughout the game. Press the White button when you see a bag of money to collect it. Collecting enough bags of money by the end plays one song, while not collecting enough will cause another song to play. The first outcome causes the game to fade in to the credits. Not collecting enough will put a completely computer generated scene over the credits and play an alternate audio track.